EMC CPD Online: Starting to Teach A Level English Literature
- £175 per place
Session 1 (10-11.30am)
- An introduction to A Level teaching and learning
- Planning and managing the reading of whole texts
- Priming the reading & whole text work.
Session 2 (11.45-1.15pm)
- Student writing about whole texts, including comparative
- The question of context.
Session 3 (2-3.30pm)
- Teaching poetry: principles, practices and practical strategies for analysing poems, including comparative
- Making effective use of criticism
- Live Q&A.
Online, via Zoom. Details of how to join will be sent before the session.
- Course materials will be sent out in advance. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course, digital editions of Doing Close Reading and The Poetry Pack – Critical Skills, as well as a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
- Vouchers expire after 6 weeks.
- This course will run with limited numbers.
- On these longer EMC online courses, we try to make good use of Zoom's interactive features, such as breakout rooms and live Q&A. This requires people to unmute their microphones and, preferably, to turn on their camera. If you would like to take part but will not be able to unmute your microphone, please email Kate ([email protected]) to discuss whether the course is suitable for you.
- As participants may be audible and visible, this course will not be recorded.
- Please note: courses are designed to be watched by one participant only.
Emma Barker worked as an English teacher for many years in London schools, leading each of the key stages before becoming Head of English. At the EMC since 2016, she ran the English with media/drama PGCE course until 2023 and continues to teach the English side of EMC's Media with English PGCE with Goldsmiths, as well as working on student conferences and A Level courses at the Centre
Lucy WebsterLucy Webster has been an advisory teacher at EMC since 1999. She is co-editor of emagazine, runs courses and writes and edits publications, specialising in A Level English Literature. Recent publications include Doing Close Reading, Studying A Streetcar Named Desire, Studying Hamlet and Exploring Mrs Dalloway. She edited The Literature Reader and co-edited What Matters in English Teaching.
- Bookings for this course close at 8am on Tuesday 9th January 2024 or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- This course must be booked online.
- To book this course you must be signed into one of the following accounts (registering an account first if you need to):
- UK Educator Admin (purchasing)
- UK Teacher – Home Address Only
- UK Private Individual
- If you have a UK Educator Standard (non-purchasing) account you will not be able to book the course. Sign in to your account and add it to your Wishlist. See the list of people able to book courses at your organisation by clicking ‘My Account’, then ‘Our Admin Users’.
- Click 'Book now’ (right-hand column).
- Add the number of places you need.
- Fill in the names and email addresses of the people attending. To secure your place, please make sure you add the attendee details immediately and checkout within 9 minutes. Otherwise the booking will expire and you will have to begin the process again. The joining information and post-course email will be emailed to both the person booking the course and the attendee.
- Click submit and then Go to basket.
- Please pay by card if you can. If you need to pay by invoice, you must be signed into a UK Educator Admin (purchasing) account. You will not be able to request an invoice if you have one of the short courses in your basket at the same time. These must be paid for in advance.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen indicating your order has been successful. You may want to make a note of your order number. The person making the booking and the attendee will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Monday 8th January. Please make sure the name and email address of the person attending is included in the booking. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email Maria.
- Course Date:
- 11 Jan 2024
- Start Time:
- Bookings Close:
- 12.00AM on 09 Jan 2024