EMC Face-to-Face: Launch of New Directions – Language Diversity Research & Resource Pack
- £0 per place
- EMC, 44 Webber Street, London SE1 8QW
We are pleased to announce the launch of our new EMC/University of Essex download for A Level English Language, New Directions written and put together by Amanda Cole and Dan Clayton, with Phoebe Price. This resource pack will be a free pdf download featuring research summaries, worksheets and activities, along with a full glossary and Q&As with many of the linguists involved.
To celebrate its release, we are hosting a free launch event at the EMC, featuring talks by three linguists whose work appears in the resource pack – Paul Kerswill, Amanda Cole and Rhys Sandow – along with workshop sessions led by Dan Clayton, making use of the material from the pack. A printed copy of the pack will also be available to take away on the day. Lunch will also be provided.
EMC, 44 Webber Street, London, SE1 8QW
How to get to the English and Media Centre
Waterloo and Waterloo East are within 10 minutes walk
Southwark on the Jubilee Line
Waterloo on the Jubilee, Bakerloo, Waterloo & City and Northern Lines
The following bus routes go close to Webber Street: 1, 139, 168, 171, 172, 344
Dan Clayton is an education consultant at the EMC and specialises in English Language work at A Level and language education across the secondary curriculum. He has been a teacher of A Level English for over 20 years, senior examiner and moderator for different awarding bodies and is author/editor of many books for A Level English Language, including ones for Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press & Routledge, as well as publications for the EMC and NATE. Dan has worked closely with many universities to help develop links between A level and HE, worked as a research fellow at UCL and runs the EngLangBlog site and @EngLangBlog twitter account, as well as being part of the Lexis Podcast team. He has also taught Media and Film Studies and is Associate Editor of emagazine and MediaMagazine.
Dr Amanda Cole
Lecturer, Department of Language and Linguistics University of Essex.
Dr Rhys Sandow
Lecturer in Sociolinguistics, School of Languages, Linguistics and Film, QMUL.
Professor Paul Kerswill
Emeritus Professor, Department of Language and Linguistic Science at the University of York.
- Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Wednesday 13th December or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- This course must be booked online.
- The course is free.
- However, to book it you must be signed into an account which allows you to purchase:
- UK Educator Admin (purchasing)
- UK Teacher – Home Address Only
- UK Private Individual
- If you have a UK Educator Standard (non-purchasing) account you will not be able to book the course. Sign in to your account and add it to your Wishlist. See the list of people able to book courses at your organisation by clicking ‘My Account’, then ‘Our Admin Users’.
- Click 'Book now’ (right-hand column).
- Add the number of places you need.
- Fill in the names and email addresses of the people attending. To secure your place, please make sure you add the attendee details immediately and checkout within 9 minutes. Otherwise the booking will expire and you will have to begin the process again. The joining information and post-course email will be emailed to both the person booking the course and the attendee.
- Click submit and then Go to basket.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen indicating your order has been successful. You may want to make a note of your order number. The person making the booking and the attendee will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- When the course has reached viable numbers, this will be indicated on the course page on the website and you may wish to book your transport. If you booked before this message was displayed, we will notify you by email when viable numbers have been reached. Of course you are free to book your transport when you wish, but please note our terms and conditions (if the course has to be cancelled we can only refund the course fee).