EMC CPD Face-to-Face: A Level English Literature Writing Clinic
- £195 per place
- 44 Webber Street, SE1 8QW
Barbara Bleiman often runs sessions on writing on EMC courses, drawing on her long experience of teaching, as well as seeing student writing for emagazine, in competitions and in response to teachers’ requests for advice on their exam writing. On courses, feedback often specifically mentions how helpful her analysis of writing has been.
She will be running an in-person 2.5-hour ‘Writing Clinic’ for A Level Literature, open to a maximum of 8 teachers. The numbers are limited to allow this to be in-depth and closely focused on teachers own students and context.
- Input from Barbara, on what good writing looks like and how to achieve it, with her own examples of student writing
- Discussion and workshopping of writing sent in, in advance, by the participating teachers (one piece per teacher).
- Practical take-aways and advice about teaching and marking, in the light of the writing discussed.
EMC, 44 Webber Street, London, SE1 8QW
How to get to the English and Media Centre
Waterloo and Waterloo East are within 10 minutes walk
Southwark on the Jubilee Line
Waterloo on the Jubilee, Bakerloo, Waterloo & City and Northern Lines
The following bus routes go close to Webber Street: 1, 139, 168, 171, 172, 344
Barbara Bleiman is an education consultant at EMC, co-editor of emagazine and the author of What Matters in English Teaching. She writes blogs and articles about education and has written or co-written many EMC publications for the classroom, including several resources on poetry, novels and language study. Among these are Doing Close Reading, Studying The Handmaid’s Tale, Sight/Unseen Poetry, KS3 Poetry Plus, as well as Curriculum Conversations: Going on an Odyssey. She takes the lead on EMC’s project on group work, ‘It’s Good to Talk’ and has a strong interest in ideas about the curriculum, developing the idea of ‘cultural conversations’ as a challenge to the notion of cultural capital. In 2019 she was awarded the NATE Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching of English. She is also a Fellow of the English Association. Barbara is the author of two novels, Off the Voortrekker Road and Accidents of Love, and has recently published a collection of short stories, Kremlinology of Kisses.
- Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 20th February or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- This course must be booked online.
- To book this course you must be signed into one of the following accounts:
- UK Educator Admin (purchasing)
- UK Teacher – Home Address Only
- UK Private Individual
- If you have a UK Educator Standard account you will not be able to book the course. Sign in to your account and add it to your Wishlist. See the list of people able to book courses at your organisation by clicking ‘My Account’, then ‘Our Admin Users’.
- Click 'Book now’ (right-hand column).
- Add the number of places you need.
- Fill in the names and email addresses of the people attending. To secure your place, please make sure you add the attendee details immediately and checkout within 9 minutes. Otherwise the booking will expire and you will have to begin the process again. The joining information and post-course email will be emailed to both the person booking the course and the attendee.
- Click submit and then Go to basket.
- Please pay by card if you can. If you need to pay by invoice, you must be signed into a ‘UK Educator Admin User (purchasing)' account. You will not be able to request an invoice if you have one of the short courses in your basket at the same time. These must be paid for in advance.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen indicating your order has been successful. You may want to make a note of your order number. The person making the booking and the attendee will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- We know people who are travelling to in-person courses by train like to book their tickets as soon as possible to take advantage of cheaper fares. (For details of timing, centre address and map, see right.)