EMC CPD Online: Refresh Your Approach to Teaching An Inspector Calls
- £45 per place
- 90 minutes
One of the most popular texts at GCSE, An Inspector Calls has plenty to offer in the classroom. However, it can be easy for students to get so caught up with the historical context and moral message that they forget to respond to the text as drama, or to analyse Priestley’s methods. We will explore how to keep a balance in teaching the play and offer practical classroom approaches. The course will assume that you are familiar with the play.
Online, via Zoom. Details of how to join will be sent before the session.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
- Vouchers expire after 6 weeks.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
Lucy Hinchliffe is EMC’s Research & Projects Lead consultant. Her work is focused on exploring how English is taught in schools and how EMC can best support this through publications and CPD. She also specialises in KS3 and KS4 courses at the Centre, and has contributed to several publications, including the EMC Teaching novels pack for The Bone Sparrow, and EMC KS3 Poetry Plus. Lucy was an English teacher, KS3 Coordinator and whole school CPD leader in an outer London school prior to joining EMC full time.
Kate OliverKate Oliver taught for 14 years in Inner London in various roles. She now works as an education consultant for The English and Media Centre, specialising in KS3 and KS4. Her favourite aspects of English teaching are creative writing and poetry. She also has a particular interest in the wider implications of the subject such as getting students reading for pleasure and engaging teachers of other subjects with language across the curriculum. Her most recent publications for EMC are KS3 Poetry Plus, Just Write and Animal Farm: An EMC Full Text Study Edition.
- Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Monday 22nd January 2024, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- This course is part of our 2 for 1 offer
- Book a place on this course and you’ll be sent a voucher code entitling you to book a further place on the same course for a colleague at your school. Your code will be emailed to you as soon as we have received your booking.
- Please note: bookings for this course close on Monday 22nd January 2024. The 2nd free place must be booked before the closing date, so please make sure you give yourself enough time!
- Your voucher can only be redeemed online and is only eligible against this course.
(Any issues please email Lucy.)
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- To book this course you must be signed into one of the following accounts (registering an account first if you need to):
- UK Educator Admin (purchasing)
- UK Teacher – Home Address Only
- UK Private Individual
- If you have a UK Educator Standard account you will not be able to book the course. Sign in to your account and add it to your Wishlist. See the list of people able to book courses at your organisation by clicking ‘My Account’, then ‘Our Admin Users’.
- Click 'Book now’ (right-hand column).
- Add the number of places you need.
- Fill in the names and email addresses of the people attending. To secure your place, please make sure you add the attendee details immediately and checkout within 24 minutes. Otherwise the booking will expire and you will have to begin the process again. The joining information and post-course email will be emailed to both the person booking the course and the attendee.
- Click submit and then Go to basket.
- Checkout. (Payment by invoice is not available for this session.)
- IF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR 2 FOR 1 OFFER, PLEASE WAIT TO BE SENT YOUR CODE BEFORE BOOKING YOUR 2ND PLACE.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen indicating your order has been successful. You may want to make a note of your order number. The person making the booking and the attendee will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Tuesday 23rd January. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email us.