EMC CPD Online: Texts and Contexts – A Lecture
- £25 per place
- 90 minutes
Contextual knowledge is a thorny issue in English in schools, with essays being swamped with crude, and often not very relevant, historical context. This lecture by Professor Peter Barry will ask ‘How can we keep context in context?’ Using worked examples, it will explore contextual awareness of different kinds, considering how they either enhance or restrict the close reading of texts, and it will suggest some principles on which on which a useful notion of contextual relevance might be based.
The lecture, intended to enhance teachers' subject knowledge, will be introduced by Barbara Bleiman. It will be followed by a Q&A, again mediated by Barbara.
Online, via Zoom. Details of how to join will be sent before the session.
- If relevant, course materials will be sent the day before the course in the email with your joining instructions. Please either print these out or have them available on screen during the session.
- After the session you will receive the PowerPoint presentation, any resources used on the course and a £10 voucher to use against any purchase on www.englishandmedia.co.uk
- Vouchers can only be redeemed online.
- Only one voucher can be used per purchase.
- Vouchers expire after 6 weeks.
- A recording of the session will be available for 7 days after the event.
- This course will be recorded but participants will not be audible or visible.
Professor Peter Barry
Peter Barry was brought up in Liverpool in the 1950s, and in the 60s he studied at Upholland College (a Catholic seminary), and King’s College London, then at London University’s Institute of United States Studies in the 70s. Apart from student jobs as a temporary postman, barman, shelf-stacker, and freezer-man in a frozen-food factory, the only work he has ever done is teaching English in schools, colleges, and universities. He has been at Aberystwyth University since 1995 and is now Emeritus Professor of English. His best-known book is Beginning Theory (4th edition, 2017) which has been translated into Korean, Ukrainian, Hebrew, Greek, Japanese, and Chinese (plus pirates). His book Literature in Contexts came out in 2007.
- Bookings for this course will close at 8am on Tuesday 5th March, or when capacity is reached, whichever is the sooner.
- This course is part of our 2 for 1 offer
- Book a place on this course and you’ll be sent a voucher code entitling you to book a further place on the same course for a colleague at your school. Your code will be emailed to you as soon as we have received your booking.
- Please note: bookings for this course close on Tuesday 5th March. The 2nd free place must be booked before the closing date, so please make sure you give yourself enough time!
- Your voucher can only be redeemed online and is only eligible against this course.
(Any issues please email Lucy.)
- This course must be booked and paid for online. Payment by invoice is not available for this session. Please note: your fee is non-refundable.
- To book this course you must be signed into one of the following accounts (registering an account first if you need to):
- UK Educator Admin (purchasing)
- UK Teacher – Home Address Only
- UK Private Individual
- If you have a UK Educator Standard account you will not be able to book the course. Sign in to your account and add it to your Wishlist. See the list of people able to book courses at your organisation by clicking ‘My Account’, then ‘Our Admin Users’.
- Click 'Book now’ (right-hand column).
- Add the number of places you need.
- Fill in the names and email addresses of the people attending. To secure your place, please make sure you add the attendee details immediately and checkout within 24 minutes. Otherwise the booking will expire and you will have to begin the process again. The joining information and post-course email will be emailed to both the person booking the course and the attendee.
- Click submit and then Go to basket.
- Checkout. (Payment by invoice is not available for this session.)
- IF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR 2 FOR 1 OFFER, PLEASE WAIT TO BE SENT YOUR CODE BEFORE BOOKING YOUR 2ND PLACE.
- Once you have booked your place, you will see a screen indicating your order has been successful. You may want to make a note of your order number. The person making the booking and the attendee will also receive an automatic acknowledgement of your booking.
- Your email with all the information you need to join the session will be sent out on Wednesday 6th March. You will be sent a reminder on the day of the course. Please check your junk or promotions folder. Still no luck? Email us.
- Course Date:
- 07 Mar 2024
- Start Time:
- Bookings Close:
- 8.00AM on 05 Mar 2024