Doing Close Reading (Hard copy, CD + digital assets)
This publication supports advanced level English Literature students in understanding what it means to analyse texts closely, providing:
- Activities to develop and hone skills of close reading in different ways
- A set of practices and a methodology that they can confidently use.
- 20 approaches for developing the skills of close reading, ranging from close stylistic analysis to re-creative writing, with a focus on language, structure and form
- Ways of doing close reading on unseen texts
- 58 texts (prose fiction, poetry, drama, non-fiction) from Sir Philip Sidney to Billy Collins, Shakespeare to Sam Shepard, Jane Austen to Hilary Mantel and Mary Wollstonecraft to Alan Clark
- 20 close readings by academics, critics and writers including Emma Smith, Nigel Wheale, Sean McEvoy and Professors John Mullan, Judy Simons, Nicolas Tredell and David Punter – and the winning entries from the emagazine close reading competition for advanced level students
- CD with full publication in PDF format, plus printable A5 anthology of texts.
If you want to download the publication at a later point, sign in to your account, then follow the instructions above.
This publication includes resources on CD. As more and more computers no longer have a disk drive, these resources are now also supplied in downloadable form. Buy the publication online and the resources included on the CD will be added to your account. Sign in to the account used to buy the publication, click My Account (top right), then navigate to 'Our Downloads' (My Downloads' if signed into an UK Individual Teacher UK or UK Private Individual account). You will also receive the print pack with CD.
Please note there are multiple files to download.
Already own this publication with CD and no longer have a disk drive?
If you previously bought this publication via the website, the digital version of the files has automatically been added to your account. Sign in to the account used to buy the publication, click My Account (top right), then navigate to 'Our Downloads' (My Downloads' if signed into an UK Individual Teacher UK or UK Private Individual account.
If you bought the publication offline (email, post, phone), please email [email protected], with evidence of your purchase so that we can provide you with a digital version of the files.
- Doing Close Reading (Hard copy, CD + digital assets)
- Sample PDF
- Publication Categories